Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Stage 1 Winding Down

I'm just 2 days away from my return to Denver, so I thought it would be good to use today's entry to reflect on where I've been the past 3 weeks. In that time I've connected with two worshiping communities, met with six pastors, supported 3 community outreach endeavors, and read 6 books. For those folks who think a sabbatical is just a fancy work for vacation, I would say, "You might want to re-think that proposition." As busy as I've been, I find myself increasingly spiritually revitalized. Let me share with you four reasons why I say that. First, I've reconnected with the reason I'm pursuing my exploration of emerging culture. I am NOT interested in exploring emergent worship simply to attract a demographic that is currently absent from the church (i.e. the twenty-somethings). Rather, I'm pursing the new worship experience to meet unmet needs - both inside AND outside of Mountain View United. Second, I've gained a clearer understanding about how some of the pieces of my ministry over the last five years fit together. I've realized that I am really a post-modern person who felt encumbered by the modernist constraints of the 20th Century church. Thankfully the people of Mountain View United have been AMAZINGLY patient and supportive as I've encouraged them to explore ministry from new perspectives (i.e. post-modern perspectives). Now that I'm beginning to have a better understanding of the post-modern movement, this will perhaps give me the tools to better explain myself and my vision to the people of Mountain View United. Third, I'm energized by the vast network of folks out there interested in emerging culture. I truly didn't expect a smaller community like Spokane to have many resources to sustain my sabbatical studies. I was blown away, however, by the group of individuals and communities I found who are passionate about exploring the ministerial possibilities that lie before us in the 21st century. This inspired me greatly! And fourth, I was excited to see the principles of the emergent culture work so efficiently and effectively right before my eyes. In just the span of three weeks, I was able to enter a city with which I had not been engaged for 10 years and establish networks across both denominational and traditional (evangelical and mainline) lines. I was also able to reach out into sub-communities that are almost NEVER engaged and establish some form of ministry presence. All of this is to say that after 3 weeks of my sabbatical, my explorations have led me to a place of new hope and energy. Since I'm heading into my last 48 hours in Washington State, I may not do another entry until the first of next week when I'm back in Denver. Thanks as always for journeying with me. Til next time...

No comments: