Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Colleagues

In most of my postings to date, I've focused on the written materials that I've interacted with. I've largely downplayed the one on one meetings I've had with local folks involved in the movement. I thought tonight I would take this opportunity to briefly discuss my first week of meetings with emergent folks I've met here in Denver and highlight a couple learnings/insights I've drawn from these meetings. In the past three days I've met with a wide variety of folks: Becky Pierson (a former United Methodist preacher's kid who recently completed a seminary education at Denver Seminary) and James Mills (a Baptist by background with extensive experience in church starts and various aspects of parish ministry) from the emergent movement here in Denver; and Ashley Seaman (a PCUSA clergy colleague who co-facilitates an emergent gathering in Denver. What a wonderful cross section of folks these individuals represent. Let me share a couple insights I had as a result of these meetings. First, from these conversations I found that many folks in the movement share my passionate desire to transcend the narrow generational focus usually associated w/ the emerging movement. Second, I found that most folks who are passionate about the movement are VERY well-read, theologically-grounded individuals. Clearly the postmodern/emergent movement has incredible spiritual depth as these leaders all embodied. Third, each individual has very personal - very profound story that led them to explore the postmodern/emerging culture (i.e. stories of pain, frustration, isolation, and/or alienation with the institutional church). Fourth, these individuals have an incredible sense of integrity about them and their vision of ministry. To say they have their priorities straight would be a colossal understatement! It was a privilege to share a piece of my spiritual journey with each of them. And fifth, there is an incredible sense of optimism in each of them about the future of the church (or perhaps I should more accurately say "the body of Christ" - for each of them was realistic about the challenges facing the existing institutional church). I walked away from each of these four meetings with an increased sense of excitement and energy about the possibilties that lie before us in the 21st Century. What an amazing and blessed time it is to be called to do ministry. It was wonderful to add these 4 voices to the 5 voices I'm currently hearing in Webber's "Listening to the Beliefs of Emerging Churches" for each of these 4 voices brought perspectives and insights that were not previously touched upon in Webber's book. I look forward to continuing ministerial relationships with these individuals (and others that I have met in previous weeks) as we prayerfully support the emerging ministries with which we are involved. Til next time...

1 comment:

Ecclesial Dreamer said...

Craig,
It was great hearing your voice and ecclesial dreams. Look forward to continuing this conversation for a very long time.

James