Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Attitude Check

Lots of folks have wondered about my mental state as I prepare this week to finish my three-month sabbatical and head back to "work" this Saturday. I thought I would use this space to help answer that question. If I were to chose one word to describe my mental and spiritual state as I resume my ministry, that would would be "peaceful". I say this because I truly have no angst or anxiety about my return to ministry. This is probably because I'm not returning with lots of new programs in which I feel personally invested. After all, my sabbatical has further grounded me in the realization that our ministries (whether they be individual or collective) are not really about US - they are about GOD. I believe that God has called me to faithful embody and live out my spiritual values and convictions. It's not my job to "sell", "market", or "win folks over" to these things. Instead, I need to give others the space and encouragement to live out their spiritual values and convictions. Then the individual (pastor or parishioner) and faith community can mutually decide if the ministerial relationship is still a good fit and proceed from there. I see this process as a very relational and organic process rather than an artifical or forced process. This is all to say that I strongly believe that the future will take care of itself. I've already started assuming some of my day-to-day duties (i.e. I worked on a draft of Sunday's sermon last week and the bulletin last night). My biggest challenge when it comes to resuming old familiar tasks and routines is to approach them with new eyes. I'm hoping that the people of Mountain View will do the same as on Sunday we strive not to return to the same ministerial relationship we had before my departure last May; rather, my hope is that we'll begin reacquainting ourselves one another as we renew our pledge to establish a vital, dynamic ministry in whatever form the Spirit is calling us to create. We'll see if my hopes are met. Til next time...

No comments: