Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

September 12

Today’s readings (Psalm 53 & 81; Ezekiel 16:1-22; Luke 9:51-62; and Revelation 18:9-14) raise two issues for me as it pertains to our individual and collective ministries. First, one of the passages reminded of the importance of never taking your blessings/your ministry for granted. In the sixteenth chapter of Ezekiel, the prophet has God using words that compares the Israelites’ experience to that of a child growing up. In verse 22, after noting the exciting, giddy moments of newness in their live together: God laments that unfortunately, as you grew, “you did not remember the days of your youth.” That line reminded me of some of the conversations early in my ministry that I had with seasoned clergy colleagues who were clearly burned out and bitter. As someone who was almost denied the path to ordination, I remember wondering, “How could anyone lose sight of the awesome joy and privilege of one’s ministry and let it become overwhelmed with cynicism?” Five years later, I guess, I can see how the demands might pull some folks down that path. It’s important for all of us – lay and clergy alike – to remember those exciting, formative days of our “youth” and keep a sense of perspective about ourselves and our ministries. Second, Luke’s ninth chapter reminded me of one of what Eugene Peterson said in his book The Contemplative Pastor was one of the three qualities of an effective pastor. His third quality of an effective pastor was apocalyptic – meaning the pastor has a sense of urgency or importance about his or her ministry. This is exactly what Jesus is saying in verses 59-62 of the ninth chapter where he chastises those who want to first bury their dead and second say goodbye to their loved ones before departing on the path of discipleship. That dramatic teaching about discipleship grounds us in the importance of who we are called to be and what we are called to do. Needless to say, my time of devotion today has helped encourage me to keep a sense of perspective regarding my life and ministry – a sense of perspective that is nothing less than awe-inspiring and breathtaking. Now I just have to live into that perspective J Til next time…

No comments: