Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

September 8

Today’s reading from Ezekiel (Ezekiel 4:1-17) energized me to the core of my being for it showed the kind of faith life I’ve been compelled to follow for myself. In the passage, the prophet Ezekiel is given very specific instructions for how he is to act out his prophetic judgment upon the house of Israel. In the instructions, God tells Ezekiel to do something that would violate Ezekiel’s beliefs and practices. God tells Ezekiel to consume something he would consider unclean. So how does Ezekiel respond to God’s edict? Does he passively go along with God? Does he bury his concerns out of fear for appearing unfaithful and then – over time – grow to resent God? Nope. He lets her rip. He cries out to God, “Not so, Sovereign Lord! I have never defiled myself” (Ezekiel 4:14 – NIV). Even more impressively, how does God respond to Ezekiel’s defiance? With a little lightning and smoting? Nope. God responds with the words, “’Very well,’ God said, ‘I will let you bake your bread over cow manure instead of human excrement.” I personally would have held out for food prepared with wood over cow excrement, but that might have been pushing it. Nevertheless, what a powerful model the book of Ezekiel gives us for establishing our connection with God. A connection where both parties are fully involved and fully invested. A connection where both parties are allowed to speak their mind. A connection where both parties – both parties - are open to being changed. In other words, a connection that can only be described as a relationship. While such a connection might be a little more messy than other forms of connection, it is a connection that I wouldn’t trade for all the world. For it is a connection that I can form authentically – with the whole of my being. Thanks Ezekiel for showing me what real faith can look like!

No comments: