Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, October 1

Today’s Readings: Psalm 63 & 42; Joel 1:1-14; Luke 13:31-35; Romans 2:12-16

I’m sorry about missing yesterday’s post. A 13-hour day full of worship services, a memorial service, a hospital visit, and planning for a memorial service totally wiped me out. Needless to say, I am ready for my Sabbath day (day off) today. In my time of devotion today, my heart connected with the passage from Joel most strongly. That’s because it reminded me of a conversation I had with a colleague several years ago in seminary. Let me tell you about the conversation and then back my way into the passage from Joel. Seven years ago I was taking a class on youth ministry, and the visiting professor had us break into small groups and tackle a case study. The case my group was assigned was an issue involving a teenager suffering from anorexia nervosa. Most of us in the group were from white, middle class, mainline backgrounds – so as we talked about the case, our first responses were all about making the necessary referrals to professional caregivers: psychologists, physicians, etc. One of our group members was from a different social and religious location. She asked us a great question: “The referrals and all are totally appropriate and all, but what about addressing the spiritual aspects of the situation?” Her question was a great word of caution about what can happen when we get so caught up in a social science perspective on the world that we forget the role our faith perspective should play as well. That’s kind of what the reading from Joel reminded us. In looking at the collapse of the state around him, I imagine most folks in Joel’s time would have been tempted to do some of the same things we would be tempted to do today: they would have started creating political strategies and forging alliances that could help them rebuild the world as they knew it. Instead, Joel pointed them toward the spiritual nature of their dilemma when suggested a better response in verses 13 & 14: “Put on sackcloth, O priests, and mourn; wail, you who minister before the altar… Declare a holy fast; call a sacred assembly. Summon the elders and all who live in the land to the house of the Lord your God, and cry out to the Lord.” Today, I invite you to explore your own corner of the world. Are there problems or challenges that you face that you have forgotten to consider the spiritual dimension? If so, today’s a great opportunity to start exploring them from a new perspective – from a spiritual perspective. Til next time…

No comments: