Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, November 2

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalms 41 & 55; Proverbs 25:15-28; Luke 22:1-13; Romans 10:1-4

In several discussions over the years involving the sacred readings of our faith, I’ve heard folks be dismissive of Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament readings) they struggle to understand. Often they’ll say things like, “I’m not sure what to make of that passage, but it doesn’t really matter because I’m a New Testament Christian so I don’t have to worry much about the Old Testament.” Every time I hear that response, it makes me sad for I don’t believe you can really make sense of who Jesus was – and how his ministry was shaped – without a solid understanding of the Hebrew Scriptures. This point was brought home for me today as I completed my daily readings. Let me tell you why this issue was raised. Lots of folks probably remember Jesus’ teaching about our enemies that read: “You have heard that is was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…” (Matthew 5:43-44). So where are the roots of Jesus’ teaching (besides, of course, his huge heart and spirit)? Proverbs 25:21 in the NRSV reads: “If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.” The passage may have stopped short of using the word love, but a similar sentiment is there. Today, I invite you to consider the ways your faith has been shaped and informed by not one testament, but two. Let us give thanks once again for an expansive God that continues to take us outside our comfort zones as we explore our faith. Til next time…

No comments: