Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, November 15

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 132; Malachi 1:1-14; Luke 24:12-25; Romans 12:9-13; Psalm 121

Today’s second Psalm really hit the spot after the day I had yesterday. You see I received word in the morning that our church had been vandalized for the second time in the past six months. Both times, my office was hit. Thankfully, nothing of great value was taken either time. It appeared that both incidents were relatively small acts of senseless destruction. It’s amazing how at such times, our first instinct is to reach out to physical objects as means of regaining our sense of security: buying bigger locks, increasing the lighting, and so on. In the midst of such natural, fear-based reactions, however, come verses 7 and 8 of Psalm 121 that read in The Message translation: “God guards you from every evil; God guards your very life. God guards you when you leave and when you return; God guards you now; God guards you always.” As I continue to vacuum up the broken glass, rearrange my papers and books, and make the changes necessary to decrease future risk; I challenge myself to remember where my real sense of security lies. Suddenly, I feel less vulnerable. I hope the psalmist's words make you feel less vulnerable too. Til next time…

No comments: