Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, December 17

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 150; Isaiah 9:1-7; Matthew 21:23-32; Hebrews 12:18-29; Psalm 21

One of the folksy clichés I’ve created in my life is this: “You often find what you are looking for.” Lots of folks hear this and assume I mean it literally. I don’t. I mean it figuratively. I mean that if you are looking for the worst in a person or a circumstance you’ll almost always find it. Likewise if you are looking for the best in a person or a circumstance, you’ll almost always find it. So much of our life is determined by what it is that we are looking . As I read today’s passage from Hebrews, I was reminded of this cliché. For in the passage, the author sets up a contrast for us. “Are you looking for a mountain that it burning with fire,” he asks, “or are you looking for Mount Zion?” There’s a big difference, the author notes. The mountain burning with fire is best characterized with words like darkness, gloom, and storm; Mountain Zion is best described as a place of joyful assembly. I can certainly see in this instance how what you are looking for would shape the nature of your spiritual life. In these final days before Christmas as you head out to the shopping centers with your lists in hand – acutely aware of the last minute items you are searching for – I ask you to stop for a moment and consider what YOU are looking for in your spiritual life as well. A God of grace and mercy… A God of retribution and wrath… A loving and inclusive God… A demanding and exclusive God… Whatever it, I’m sure you’ll find it. Til next time…

No comments: