Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, January 31

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 68; Isaiah 48:1-11; Luke 4:1-13; 1 Corinthians 4:1-5


Let me start today by saying, “Whoops!” Yesterday (Wednesday) I accidentally used today’s (Thursday’s) lectionary readings for my entry. That means today (Thursday) I will have to use yesterday’s (Wednesday’s) lectionary readings for my entry. Now that everyone is thoroughly confused, let’s hope I get back on track tomorrow (Friday)!

Yesterday I was lucky enough to catch a portion of a lecture by one of the leading biblical scholars on Paul and his writings – Dr. Pamela Eisenbaum. Dr. Eisenbaum’s lecture was on how Paul – contrary to popular opinion – could be seen as an advocate of pluralism. One of the points she made in support of her position was that Paul was characterized by an incredibly strong sense of humility – a humility that prevented him from placing himself and his positions above others (i.e. see his relations with the pillars in Jerusalem – Peter, James & John). Today’s reading from 1 Corinthians is a good example of this point; for in this passage Paul said: “I care very little if I am judged by you or by human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself” (1 Corinthians 4:3 – NIV). Instead of worrying about his social standing and how he was seen by others, all Paul cared about what the One who judged him. What an amazing sense of perspective Paul had! What most impressed me, however, was the way time informed Paul’s reluctance to judge. In the very next verse Paul (1 Corinthians 4:4 – NIV) said: “”Therefore, judge nothing before the appointed time…” The verse reminds me how often we think we have enough information to jump to a conclusion about someone or some circumstance. And then what happens? More information comes in and you realize your earlier judgment or conclusion was totally lacking. When you find yourself ready to jump to a conclusion today, I invite you to remember Paul’s sense of humility and patience. Then, take a deep breath and hold off on your judgment for a while. See if your willingness to wait for the appointed time gives you a new sense of perspective – on the other person or situation, and on your own faith. Til next time…

No comments: