Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, February 14

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 107; Deuteronomy 8:11-20; Matthew 9:27-28; Galatians 4:15-20

In reading today’s psalm, I noticed something that I hadn’t since my seminary days. I noticed the way the psalmist used the notion of words and/or speaking to mean ways in which God was called into action. Let me give you a couple examples. In verses 17 & 18, the psalmist tells of those who were rebellious and struggled with affliction. How did they escape their miserable condition? Verse 20 says: “God sent forth God’s word and healed them” (NIV). And verses 23-24 tell of those sea merchants who got to see God in action in a rather unique way. And how did God spring to action on the high seas? Verse 25 tells us: “…God spoke and stirred up a tempest” (NIV). All of this is to say that this background helps me better understand the notion of Jesus as the word (i.e. “In the beginning was the word…” from John 1:1). For Jesus was the one I know who best exemplifies God’s love springing into action. As individuals who connect with the living spirit of Christ, I think God’s indwelling spirit transforms us into expressions of God’s word as well. In other words, God speaks in and through us. Today, I invite you to consider just what God is saying through you. May you continue to open yourself up so that folks around you feel God’s presence in new and powerful ways. Til next time…

No comments: