Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, February 6

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 51; Joel 2:1-2, 12-17a; Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21; 2 Corinthians 5:20b-6:10; Psalm 38

When I was a child, I could never understand my parents’ apathy when their birthdays or Christmas would roll around. For me these occasions were HUGE because they provided me with the opportunity to get gifts. I would put days and days of thought into what gifts I wanted to receive. I figured everyone else should be equally jazzed by these occasions. Whenever I would ask my parents what they wanted for these occasions, however, they would nonchalantly shrug their shoulders and say, “Don’t worry about it, I already have everything that I need.” My parents honestly seemed happier about just having our family together for these special occasions than they ever did by any of the gifts they received. For years I just thought that their response meant they were getting old and that they had lost their passion for life. I hoped that would never happen to me! Over the years, however, I’ve realized what was really happening for them. My parents had something that I sorely lacked in my youth – they had a sense of perspective. They knew that the stuff people exchanged on special occasions weren’t what really mattered; what REALLY mattered was the love that lay behind those gifts. They even felt – get this – that the love was so important that it could actually take the place of gifts. The horror! My parents weren’t the first ones to realize this. I know that for a fact since that very same sentiment was expressed by both the prophets and the psalmist. That’s especially true in today’s first reading from the Psalms. In Psalm 51, the psalmist cries out: “You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise” (Psalm 51:16-17 – NIV). As we commemorate the beginning of Lent this Ash Wednesday, my hope is that you won’t spend all your time and energy searching for the perfect gift (i.e. giving up coffee or chocolate) to give God. Instead, my prayer is that you’ll give God the only thing that God truly wants this (and every) holiday season – your heart. Once you give God that – everything else will fall into place. Til next time…

No comments: