Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, March 28

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 136; Isaiah 25:1-9; Luke 24:45-53; 1 Corinthians 15:51-58; Psalm 144

One of the greatest challenges I’ve faced over the last six years as I’ve transitioned into life as a parish minister is the constant temptation to respond to people’s needs immediately. Whether the need is a tangible one (i.e. “I need help with food” or “I need assistance with my rent or utilities) or a spiritual one (i.e. “I don’t understand why God would have allowed this to happen” or “What’s the point in going on/”), I often feel like I’ve got to immediately jump into action. Today’s passage from Luke reminds me that when I do that I’m often leaving a spiritual step out of the process. After Jesus takes moment to spell out some of the things that lie before the disciples, he adds these words: “Stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high” (New International Version). Those words reminded me that it’s important to take the time for spiritual centering and empowerment BEFORE we leap into action. The danger if we leave this part of the response process out is that most likely we’ll be responding to the stated need from a place of OUR agenda and OUR commitments instead of God’s. Today, I invite you to think about the way you respond to needs as they present themselves. Do you do what I often do – immediately respond; or do you take a moment and invite God to clothe you with “power from on high”? May God’s spirit help us take a moment to get spiritually ready before we respond to the needs we encounter in our daily lives. Til next time…

No comments: