Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Tuesday, April 29


Every time I return to the area in which I was born and raised, I have conflicting emotions. The positive things about my return primarily center around the many people I spend my time reconnecting with: people who in so many ways helped me become the person I am today. That part of my return experience is amazingly positive. Of course I have other emotions during my return trips as well. You see I grew up in a region that had little - if any - diversity present. Consequently, if you were a member of a white family household (1 mom, 1 dad & 2.4 kids) or were a white retired person then my community had much to offer. But if you fell outside of these two categories in any way, shape, or form; then the area had little to offer. Consequently, I grew up thinking that because I was outside the “norm” that I would never have many of the things that all of the others I knew came to expect - things like a long-term, loving relationship; a house of my own; and a vocation where I could do what God had truly called me to do. Each time I return “home” for a visit, I am reminded of the amazing things I have been blessed with since I left the region nine years ago - things that I grew up thinking would never be possible for me. And it would be easy on some level to think to myself, “Well, Craig, you’ve worked hard and deserve the things that have come into your life.” Thankfully, I have the words from Deuteronomy 8:11-20 to ground me this morning as I begin my first full day back “home” on my vacation this week. Those words in part read: “If you start thinking to yourself, ‘I did this all. And all by myself. I’m rich. It’s all mine!’ - well, think again” (Deuteronomy 8:17 - The Message). Are there aspects of your life where you find yourself more than ready to claim credit: aspects like a career move, a new relationship or a sense of renewal in an existing relationship, a recovery from an addiction, and so on? Today I would invite you to consider an area of your life that perhaps you’ve been a little quick to claim credit. Now stop give credit where credit is due. Til next time…

No comments: