Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, June 16

Today’s Readings: Psalm 20; Genesis 16:1-14; Matthew 26:1-16; Romans 6:20-23; Psalm 126

I’ve noticed over the years that when it comes to an individual’s motivation for leading a spiritual life, most folks fall into one of two camps. The first camp consists of those who want to lead a spiritual life because of the benefits it brings a person in the here and now (i.e. I want to live a spiritual life that will bring me peace, joy, and hope today!). The second camp consists of those who want to lead a spiritual life because of the benefits it will bring a person later (i.e. if I lead a spiritual life I’ll go to heaven; if I don’t lead a spiritual life I’ll go to hell). I’m someone who definitely falls into the first camp. I cultivate a spiritual life because of the way it affects my life each and every day of my life. I say all of this because it might help you understand why I so appreciate Paul’s words to the Romans in today’s passage. In talking of the decision to turn toward a life oriented toward God and not sin, Paul wrote: “But now that you’ve found you don’t have to listen to sin tell you what to do, and have discovered the delight of listening to God telling you, what a surprise! A whole, healed, put-together life right now, with more and more of life on the way!” (The Message). That verse spells out for me perfectly the benefits I find by focusing primarily on the here and now rather than the here-after. So what is your primary motivation for leading a spiritual life? Is your commitment to leading a spiritual life lie rooted in all of your todays, or is that commitment lie rooted in all of your tomorrows? Til next time…

No comments: