Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, August 9

Today’s Readings: Psalm 83; Genesis 49:29-50:14; Luke 9:1-17; Acts 21:27-36; Psalm 129

It wouldn’t take a person visiting my blog for the first time very long to figure out I have a deep appreciation for the Emerging Movement. The name of my blog is a dead give away. Some of the folks I’ve bumped into the last couple of years have wondered why I have such a passion for the movement. Well, I could go on and on about why I’m so excited; but for the sake of time, I’ll share just three reasons. Unlike the Traditional Movement - which stresses the repetition of spiritual practices simply because “We’ve always done them that way before” – the Emerging Movement stresses the conviction that our spiritual practices should have deep meaning for us. And unlike the Contemporary Movement that stresses the importance of cosmetic changes (i.e. throw in a LCD projector, a couple of guitars, and a drum set) to capture people’s attention, the Emerging Movement stresses community based expressions of worship that have integrity and authenticity for each particular worshipping community. In other words, it’s not a “one size fits all” approach. My third reason I’m so enamored of the Emerging Movement was named in today’s Gospel passage from Luke. As Jesus was preparing to send the disciples out on their missions, we are told Jesus said these words: “Don’t load yourselves up with equipment. Keep it simple; you are the equipment” (Luke 9:3 – The Message). I love that statement – you are the equipment!! Let me tell you why I love that statement. You see it’s so easy for communities of faith to think to themselves: “We could grow if only we could hire another staff person, or pave the parking lot, or put up a glitzy new sign...” In other words, they think of the “equipment” of ministry in terms of things and not people. A similar thing often happens in the lives of individual people of faith as well. They think to themselves, “I could really make a difference if I could earn that degree, make more money, get that promotion...” All they while individuals and communities of faith completely forget that they already have the single most important piece of equipment they need: themselves. Some may wonder what it means for a person to be the equipment for ministry. It’s really very simple. Being the equipment for ministry means things like sharing your personal story/experience with others and not a pre-rehearse litany of doctrines or dogma. Being the equipment also means identifying and using your existing spiritual gifts (what some in the secular world might call your passions) to help others. Today I invite you to consider a shift in your approach toward life. Instead of looking at your life and saying, “I could do amazing things if only I had…” - stop yourself in mid-sentence and remind yourself: “I CAN do amazing things because I have the most important piece of equipment I’ll ever need: ME.” Til next time…

No comments: