Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, September 8

Today’s Readings: Psalm 114; Exodus 17:1-16; Luke 14:11-32; Romans 14:10-13; Psalm 81

When I was in high school, I picked up a phrase that has stayed with me ever since. It’s a phrase that has repeatedly guided the direction of my life. The phrase is this: “You are either part of the problem or part of the solution.” The saying resonated with me because it both encouraged and empowered me to jump in and get involved in those things that I am passionate about and think need changing. One of places that phrase helped lead me was into ordained parish ministry. I say that because I spent much of my twenties as a critic of organized religion. If you were ever looking for someone to criticize the hypocrisy of organized religion, I was one of the first persons you would have found. In other words, I was part of the problem. Then I realized it was time to follow my favorite phrase and see if I could become part of the solution. So I did. I started slowly at first (at least slowly for me) by becoming the choir director and pianist for my small church. Then I branched out into missions and the Staff Parish Relations Committee. And just a few years later, I was sitting in a classroom at seminary. I certainly haven’t solved all of the problems within organized religion over the past 12 years, but I have had powerful experiences of transformation. Funny thing is that some of the biggest and most meaningful transformations that have occurred haven’t been in organized religion – they’ve been within me. This leads me to the wisdom in today’s Scripture from Romans. Paul started by pointing out the futility of a “part of the problem” approach to life when he wrote: “So where does that leave you when you criticize a brother? And where does that leave you when you condescend to a sister? I’d say it leaves you looking pretty silly – or worse” (Romans 14:10 from The Message). Paul goes on to suggest that we not only be a part of the solution – he actually tells us how to do that. “Here’s what you need to be concerned about: that you don’t get in the way of someone else, making life more difficult than it already is. I’m convinced – Jesus convinced me! – that everything as it is in itself is holy. We, of course, by the way we treat it or talk about it, can contaminate it” (Romans 14:13-14 from The Message). Where are you in terms of being “part of the problem” or “part of the solution”? Do you find it easier to sit back, gossip, and criticize others for not doing things “the right way” (a phrase that I’ve learned over the years that really means “my way”); or have you taken a risk and actually gotten involved – treating everyone with whom you serve as an expression of the holy? Remember this: if you don’t like your current approach toward life, it’s never too late to change it! Til next time…

No comments: