Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Tuesday, September 30

Today’s Readings: Psalm 54; Leviticus 19:26-37; Luke 20:41-21:4; Philippians 3:12-21; Psalm 113

One of my favorite aspects of the recent Olympics was the special interest stories the media told about those involved in the event. While many of the stories of the athletes themselves were certainly memorable, the most memorable story of all for me was the story of a little boy from China who walked with Yao Ming as Yao carried the Chinese flag into the stadium for the Opening Ceremony. The little boy was chosen to walk with Yao because of his remarkable strength and courage. A few months earlier when the horrific earthquake struck China, the little boy had been serving as a hall monitor in his school. As the walls shook around him, the little boy ran back into the building and led several of his classmates to safety. When asked why he risked his life to help others, he said words to the effect of: “I’m a hall monitor and that’s what we’re supposed to do.” Those words told me that the little boy had such a clear sense of purpose that when the world as he knew it started shaking and threatening to fall apart, he knew exactly what to do. I was reminded of that story as I read this morning’s words from Philippians where the author wrote: “By no means do I count myself as an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward – to Jesus. I’m off and running and I’m not turning back. So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less that total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision – you’ll see it yet” (Philippians 3:14-16 from The Message). Those words encourage us to have the same sort of focus the little boy from China had so that when our world starts shaking and threatening to fall apart, we too know what to do. And the best part is that today’s words tell us God doesn’t expect us to maintain that laser-like focus on our own; when we lose sight of the goal, we are told “God will clear your blurred vision”! Take a few minutes today and check in with yourself to see where your focus lies. If your focus lies on something other than God, ask for God’s assistance to help you regain your focus. Til next time…

No comments: