Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Sunday, October 19

Today’s Readings: Psalm 99; Exodus 33:12-23; Matthew 22:15-22; 1 Thessalonians 1:1-10

As someone who comes from a denomination connected to the Reformed tradition (that would be the United Church of Christ), the notion of what it means to be a part of “the elect” – or the chosen – is a part of my religious heritage. While some folks from Reformed traditions LOVE the notion of being part of “the elect”, I have to admit the notion makes me more than a little uncomfortable. I suppose some of this discomfort stems from the fact that I was raised in a denomination (United Methodist) whose founder (John Wesley) found the notion of “the elect” offensive. Another reason the notion of “the elect” makes me uncomfortable is because I have seen individuals who consider themselves part of “the elect” fall prey to conceit and/or apathy in their spiritual lives. So why all of this talk about “the elect” or the chosen? Well, the issue was raised for me in today’s reading from Exodus, where the notion of being “special” was raised by Moses in relation to both himself and the Israelites. A few months ago, I stumbled upon a resource that helped me frame what it meant to be part of “the elect” – or “special” - in a new way. Those who are a part of “the elect”, the author wrote, are not chosen because they themselves are special; rather, those who are a part of “the elect” are special because they have been chosen. For those outside the Reformed tradition, this distinction may sound like mere word play. For me it’s not. That’s because the author’s words helped me understand there is nothing inherent in us that makes us special; instead, it is God’s unmerited grace that transforms us into something we could never be on our own. Today, I would invite you to celebrate just how special you are – not because of who you are but special because of whose you are! Til next time…

No comments: