Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, October 29

Today’s Readings: Psalm 140; Numbers 22:21-38; Matthew 6:19-24; 2 Thessalonians 2:5-12; Psalm 64

I was recently asked to explain my call to ministry to someone I had just met. Here’s how I explained it. For the first decade of my life following my undergraduate studies, I tried a variety of things. I used my education degree, for instance, to spend 6 years teaching in a juvenile corrections facility. I loved the experience for the most part, but something was missing. I decided to seek out a position that would use my experience in community organizing so I then worked for 2 years as an HIV/AIDS outreach worker in the local health department. I loved the experience for the most part, but something was missing. In my free time during this period, I was very active in my local church – serving as both pianist and choir director among other things. I loved the experience for the most part, but something was missing. My desire to help change the world then led me to explore a career in politics as I ran for a position in the state house of representatives back in Washington State. I loved the experience for the most part, but something was missing. It wasn’t until I answer my call to come to seminary that I had my first opportunity to work in a local church. And guess what I found? I loved the experience – and nothing was missing! The local church was the one place in my life where all the pieces of my life - my treasures, if you will - came together. In other words, I discovered the truth of which Jesus spoke when he said: “The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being” (Matthew 6:21 from The Message). As I look back now, I realized that the key in answering my call was in figuring out where my treasure lie. If you are struggling to make sense of your life, spend some time today sorting out where your treasure lies. Once you figure that out, you’ll have a clearer sense of where you life is headed. Then you’ll have to ask yourself one final question: is that a place I really want to be headed? Til next time…

No comments: