Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, November 5

Today’s Readings: Psalm 118; Numbers 32:1-6, 16-27; Matthew 23:29-39; 1 Thessalonians 3:6-10; Psalm 74

Today’s second Psalm entered my life at a perfect juncture – for I can certainly identify with the feelings contained in its opening verse: “You walked off and left us, and never looked back. God, how could you do that?” (Psalm 74:1 from The Message). So what’s going on in my life that caused me to feel that way? Well, the bittersweet experience I had last night as the election returns were broadcast. I characterize my experience as bittersweet because I had such mixed feelings: I was thrilled to see our nation move past one significant social barrier as it elected its first president of color. It was truly amazing to see this barrier overcome!! And yet at the same time, I was overcome with despair by the fact that portions of our country once again embraced their commitment to discriminating against a segment of the population. Last night there were measures on the ballot in at least four states that significantly limited the human rights of gay, lesbian, transgender, & bisexual individuals. Every one of these measures passed. GLBT people in Arizona, Arkansas, California & Florida all had their human rights limited by the voters! If anyone would feel as if God walked off and left them, it would be folks in these communities. On a day when many are reveling in triumph, my hope and prayer is that today we will remember those folks who are mired in despair. May God’s grace and peace sustain them until we arrive at a time in our country where all of God’s children are loved, valued, and embraced. Til next time…

No comments: