Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, January 12

Today’s Readings: Psalm 15; Isaiah 66:12, 22-23; John 9:1-12, 35-38; Revelation 3:14-22; Psalm 16

In working with lots of families over the years that have lived through the loss of a loved one, I know there are many stress points along the way. These stress points often produce fights over a variety of things ranging from when it is time to discontinue life support systems in the hospital to what hymns should be sung at the memorial service. One of the more powerful stress points, however, lies around issues of inheritance. The greater the material worth of an estate, often the more intense and prolonged are the disputes. Today’s second psalm got me to thinking about the issue of inheritance. In verses 5-6, the psalmist noted: “My choice is You, God, first and only. And now I find I’m Your choice! You set me up with a house and a yard. And then You made me your heir!” (Psalm 16:5-6 from The Message). It would be fascinating to hear what individuals think they are due when they hear they have been made an heir of God’s. Some would hear those words and assume it means they’ve been handed ultimate power over others. Other would hear it and conclude they have been promised a life of comfort and ease. I don’t think of being God’s heir that way. Since God is one who regularly practices things like mercy, grace; I tend to think that God’s heirs are drawn into those practices as well. And I tend to think we don’t simply receive those things from God – we are expected to do what God does with them: give them away to others. That concept makes the entire notion of being one of God’s heirs much more challenging. Today, I would ask you to think about what it means to you to be one of God’s heirs. Once you have a handle on it, then go forth and lead a life that embodies your understanding of what it means to be God’s heir. Til next time…

No comments: