Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, March 14

Today’s Readings: Psalm 101; Jeremiah 23:9-15; Mark 11:15-19; 2 Corinthians 13:2-9; Psalm 35

Featured Reading:
2 Corinthians 13:2-9

I’ll never forget the day that I consider the turning point of my ministry. It came on July 16, 2002. Two days earlier I had been called to serve the church I am currently serving. As a result, that Tuesday morning represented the first day of my office hours. As I sat in the office going through piles of mail and waiting for the phone to ring, I remember thinking to myself, “Can I do this?” I started thinking about all the things that I would be experiencing as a result of the call: the births, the deaths, the controversies… you name it, and the thought ran through my mind. Just as I was starting to get myself really worked up, the answer to my own question started forming itself in my mind: “Of course you can’t do it. That’s where grace comes in. I’ll help you!” In those quiet moments alone, I came face to face with my own limitations. I realized, for instance, that if left on my own I would make a terrible pastoral counselor because I am one of the most opinionated people on the planet and I would revert to simply telling people what to do. I realized that I would be tremendously ineffective by the hospital beds of the sick and the hospice beds of the dying because to that point in my life I thrived at having the answers to every question – and clearly those beds often raise issues that defy human answers. And every time a controversy erupted I would only make things worse because my control issues would take over and turn each controversy into a power struggle. That morning I began to come to terms with Paul’s words from today’s reading from 2 Corinthians: “We don’t just put up with our limitations; we celebrate them, and then go on to celebrate every strength, every triumph of truth in you. We pray hard that it will all come together in your lives” (2 Corinthians 13:9 from The Message). That day I began the life-long process of learning to let go and create room for God’s grace to work in and through me. Over time, I found I could actually do the unthinkable – celebrate my limitations. This allowed me to then move on and celebrate my strengths as well. So where are you at with your limitations? Have you come to terms with them, or are you still trying to deny them and overcome them on your own? Til next time…

No comments: