Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Tuesday, March 24

Today’s Readings: Psalm 137; Lamentations 1:14-22; John 8:31-38; 1 Peter 3:8-12; Psalm 4

Featured Reading:
1 Peter 3:8-12

I have spent virtually my entire career as an adult doing the same thing: helping people get along with each other. When I worked in the juvenile corrections system as a teacher, for instance, I spent a good portion of my time helping my students learn to get along with each other and not take their frustrations at being locked up out on each other. When I worked in the public health system as a community educator/outreach worker, I spent lots of time helping those in high risk populations develop a trusting relationship with service providers so they could battle the spread of communicable diseases together. When I worked in politics, I helped individuals work across party lines to talk with each other in order to address the important issues of the day. And when I’ve worked in the local church, I’ve helped individuals overcome personality issues and egos and realize that we’re on a spiritual journey that is much larger than ourselves. In constantly working in situations of human conflict, it would have been nice to have a concise statement that would have helped me summarize the key to successfully living together. Luckily today’s reading from 1 Peter provides just such a statement – for it gives us 5 instructions for healthy ways of being as we live in relationship with one another: (1) be agreeable, (2) be sympathetic, (3) be loving, (4) be compassionate, and (5) be humble (1 Peter 3:8 from The Message). What beautiful words of guidance! Today, as you head out into a world full of complex relationships, carry those five principles with you in your heart. See how if affects your relationships once you start putting those principles into practice. Til next time…

No comments: