Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, April 22

Today’s Readings: Psalm 36; Daniel 2:17-30; John 21:20-25; Colossians 1:24-2:7; Psalm 141

Featured Reading:
Colossians 1:24-2:7

In our weekly Sacred Grounds conversation group that gathered last night, we were talking about what the disciples must have been feeling in those first few days following Easter. In trying to capture the feelings, one of the participants said: “It must have felt kind of like the way I felt when I graduated from college. All of a sudden I had my degree and they were sending me into the world to do what I had been trained to do. I remember feeling terrified – wondering if I was up to it.” The author of Colossians talks about the development of our faith in very similar terms. “My counsel for you,” the author writes, “is simple and straightforward: Just go ahead with what you’ve been given. You’ve received Christ Jesus, the Master; now live in him… Now do what you’ve been taught” (Colossians 2:6-7 from The Message). Each of the two scenarios sounds totally overwhelming on the surface. So what’s the difference between the two? Well, in the first scenario, you have to leave college and go out into the world alone. You don’t have the luxury of taking your professors or college classmates with you. In the second scenario, however, things are entirely different. “Know that I’m on your side, right alongside you. You’re not in this alone” (Colossians 2:1 from The Message). Today, as you go forth to face the multitude of challenges in your world, remember those words of assurance. No matter how inadequate or ill-equipped you may feel in any given situation, make those words your mantra: “[I'm] not in this alone”. Those five little words can give you two of the greatest gifts a person of faith can ever have: encouragement and hope. Til next time…

No comments: