Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, July 13

Today’s Readings: Psalm 142; 1 Samuel 30:11-31; Mark 3:19b-35; Ephesians 3:14-21; Psalm 138

Two years ago, I had an interesting experience that helped me live into a new understanding of today’s Gospel reading from Mark. You see my father had a sudden heart attack and was in the Intensive Care Unit for over three weeks. Unfortunately, I was unable to spend much time with him in ICU – for the day they discovered that he had had heart attack I had to catch a return flight to Denver. That meant for many days I was in a rather unique position. I was unable to visit my own father who lie recovering in a hospital bed some 1,100 miles away – all that while I found myself taking care of those individuals in the congregation I served who were ailing as well. During those trying days, I discovered a new respect for what it means to live out our faith as members of a larger family. I had to trust that my father’s pastor would tend to his spiritual care while I tended to the care of other people’s mothers and fathers in the congregation I serve. That whole experience gave new appreciation for Jesus’ words found in Mark 3:35: “The person who obeys God’s will is my brother and sister and mother” (The message). For those of you reading this that are connected to congregations, I would ask you to contemplate the ways the people in your faith community have become your family members. After you’ve done that, give thanks that no matter where you live geographically, you’ll always be surrounded by family. Til next time…

1 comment:

Dutch Bieber said...

My anger cannot defeat another's anger. My dysfunction at work cannot defeat management's dysfunction.