Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, September 28

Today’s Readings: Esther 4:1-17; 1 Peter 1:3-9; Psalm 140

One of the darkest periods of my life began on April 10, 2001. At the time, I was half way through my Master of Divinity degree at seminary – anticipating a career as a United Methodist pastor – when I received word that my home church had voted to discontinue my candidacy for ordination because of my sexual orientation. I was devastated. I had no clue what lie ahead for me. My relationship was severed with the only faith tradition I had known. I was half way through seminary, and I had no clue what I was going to do following graduation. I was paralyzed by fear. I spent the next six months desperately trying to regain my footing. If someone would have come along during this time and said: “God is keeping careful watch over us and the future. The Day is coming when you’ll have it all – life healed and whole” – I would have laughed out loud (1 Peter 1:5 from The Message). As I look back, however, I now realize that while I may not have believed those words had been spoken to me – it still would have been helpful to hear them as they would have invited me to think about the possibility that my future could be brighter than my present. Perhaps there is someone in your life who is going through a rough spot – someone who could benefit from hearing the sentiments expressed in that simple promise. If so, I invite you to find that person and find a way of articulating that sentiment in ways the other person could hear. Who knows? Your heart-felt expression just might bring back the spark of hope to someone in need. Til next time…

No comments: