Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Sunday, November 8

Today’s Reading: Ruth 3:1-5 & 4:13-17
I find it fascinating how the author handles the culmination of the story of Ruth in today’s reading. Rather than putting Ruth front and center, the author chose to put the focus on Naomi. The women of the community, for instance, responded to the birth of the new baby by observing Naomi (not Ruth) now has a son. And when Ruth’s name is mentioned by the women of the community, she is mentioned as being a blessing to Naomi. This reminds me that the focus of the storylines of our lives often don’t turn out the way in which we expect.

So what does Naomi do that’s so extraordinary and that makes her worth of mention?

In her commentary on the text titled “The Story of Ruth: Moments of Loss & Faith”, Sister Joan Chittister noted that in the midst of her grief Naomi asked herself a central question that shaped the storyline for both Ruth and herself: “what is it in [me] that lies unfinished and [begs] to be done if the will of God is ever to be completed in [me]”. That question drew her (and Ruth) back to Judea.

Today, I would invite you to ask yourself the same question: what is it in me that lies unfinished and begs to be done if the will of God is ever to be completed in me. Then open yourself to the possibilities that will unfold before you as you contempt the answers. Til next time…

No comments: