Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, December 21

Today’s Readings: Genesis 25:19-28; Colossians 1:15-20; Palm 113

I have to say I was encouraged by the developments that occurred in Copenhagen last week. While the accords are certainly not perfect, I am a huge believer that most significant change does not happen overnight; it takes time. It’s the waiting that is often the hard part for us human beings. In the case of the planet, I pray that it has the ability to be patient with us as well.

So why would I start a blog entry devoted to spiritual matters with comments about what some would perceive of as purely the political event known as the UN Climate summit in Copenhagen? Because I believe the attitudes we hold about the care of the planet reflect our spiritual commitments to a HUGE degree.

Today’s passage for Colossians, for instance, gives me reason to think this way. “We look at this Son and see God’s original purpose in everything created,” the author stated in Colossians 1:16 from The Message). The author went on to add: “Not only that, but all the broken and dislocated pieces of the universe –people and things, animals and atoms-get properly fixed and fit together in vibrant harmonies…” (Colossians 1:20 from The Message).

I love the notion that being reconciled to God is about more than human beings living in right relation with one another and God. I LOVE the idea that reconciliation implies human beings are called to live in right relation with ALL aspects of God’s creation. This for me is not a political concept; it is a deeply spiritual concept.

So what about you? How do you view humanity’s relationship with the created world? Are you concerned about the well-being of the planet simply out of self-interest (i.e. we human beings need a healthy planet in order to survive); or do your concerns for the planet reflect a larger spiritual dimension? Til next time…

No comments: