Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, December 16

Today’s Readings: Micah 4:8-13; Luke 7:31-35; Isaiah 11:1-19

Like many folks, I can be an incredibly fickle person. Let me give you an example of what I mean. When I lived in Denver, I had a few “complaints” about the housing situation in which I found myself. First, I thought the place was a little too big - it had 2,200 square feet, and I felt it was a little much for just two people with 2 dogs to live. Second, the physical arrangement of the place was awkward. It was a split level and – because it didn’t have stairs from the upstairs leading down to the backyard – we spent most of our time with the dogs trapped downstairs so we could let them in and out when necessary. Third, the house was almost entirely carpeted so we spent a great deal of time vacuuming. At times I felt as if we needed a riding vacuum cleaner.

Fast forward to our new home in Los Angeles. We found a place that isn’t as large (986 square feet to be exact) – and what do I do? Complain it is too small. We found a home with one level – and what do I do? Complain that Mike and I are always in each other’s space. We found a place that has no carpeting and what do I do? Complain about how we always have to sweep the hardwood floors and mop the time. There is truly no satisfying me!

Jesus picked up on this very human tendency to be dissatisfied in today’s Gospel reading when he wrote: “John the Baptizer came fasting and you called him crazy. The Son of Man came feasting and you called him a lush” (Luke 7:33-34 from The Message).

So where are those areas in your life where you are prone to being fickle? As you sit with that question and perhaps find an area where you are especially fickle, see if you can find a way to look at that area with new eyes that can help you appreciate it a bit more. Til next time…

No comments: