Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, March 1, 2010

What I’m Reading Today: 1 Corinthians 15

There are many aspects of what Paul wrote about that strongly resonate with me. Today, however, Paul explores a topic that I have a different take on.

That topic?

The resurrection.

Paul wrote: “It’s resurrection, resurrection, always resurrection, that undergirds what I do and say, the way I live.” He added: “If there’s no resurrection, ‘We eat, we drink, the next day we die.”

Several verses earlier, Paul indicated: “If all we get out of Christ is a little inspiration for a few short years, we’re a pretty sorry lot.”

I would disagree with Paul. Here’s my take on the subject.

When human beings are asked to talk about the resurrection, I liken it to asking a fetus to talk about life outside the womb. In both instances, the state being considered is completely beyond both the experience and the capacity of the entity involved.

Does this mean then that I don’t believe in the resurrection?

No. It simply means that I don’t believe we human beings can grasp the fullness of the dimension of life beyond/after our current state. Nor, would I add, do I believe human beings can deny the existence of another dimension beyond/after this life. I am comfortable living into this uncertainty – trusting God to take care of the rest.

I also strongly disagree with Paul when he suggests that without a certainty of belief in the resurrection, the inspiration we get from Christ makes us a sorry lot. From my experience, the inspiration I get from Jesus was the catalyst for my experience of a new life. Right here. Right now.

To borrow the language of Holy Week a few weeks early, during this lifetime I have known experiences of suffering. I have known experiences of death. I have known experiences of new life. The sense of resurrection I have absolute certainty about is the transformation my experience of God as revealed in Jesus has already given me. What a powerful thing this resurrection-experience has been for me!

I realize this is a touchy topic for some, but I would ask you to spend some time today exploring your thoughts on the topic. As you do so, may you draw strength from God’s abiding presence.

Til next time…

No comments: