Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

What I’m Reading Today: 1 Thessalonians 2

Like many people I tend to get a bit nostalgic on holidays and special days. That’s because a flood of memories come rushing back to me concerning the wonderful times I’ve spent over the years with families and friends. Since today is one of those special days (my birthday), you’ll have to bear with me as I share a few of those memories.

On this day, I remember my sixth birthday when my parents got me a “new” bike (okay, technically it was a hand me down from an older sibling) and my dad and brothers helped me learn how to ride it. I also think back to the 13th birthday party my friends Dana & Debbie threw for me when I finally got the skateboard I had wanted for several months. I remember the night of my twenty-first birthday when my three siblings and cousin took me out to my first comedy club (where I had the opportunity to present my ID and get into a club for the first time). I also remember my thirtieth birthday party that was used to officially kick off my campaign for the Washington State House of Representatives. What wonderful birthday memories those were!

Some might wonder why I would give up such wonderful times with family and life-long friends in order to move across country (not once, but twice!) and devote my life to ministry.

For those who might wonder that, I could give a very simple explanation. An explanation so simple, in fact, that it could be captured in one four-letter word: l-o-v-e. Love of God, and love of God’s children!

Paul wrote a beautiful explanation of what motivates a pastor when he wrote: “Even though we had some standing as Christ’s apostles, we never threw our weight around or tried to come across as important, with you or anyone else… We took you as you were… We loved you dearly. Not content to just pass on the Message, we wanted to give you our hearts. And we did.”

Today, I give thanks for two things. All the love I have received over the years from those who have touched my life at each step of my journey; and the opportunity to give the folks with whom I’m in ministry the one thing that matters most: my heart.

Til next time…

2 comments:

Frances said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frances said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!