Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What I’m Reading Today: Philippians 3-4

When I was home a couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to do dinner with a friend whom I hadn’t seen in over a decade. She had not known me since I had left my hometown for seminary and was subsequently ordained. She was intrigued by the idea that her “old friend” was now a pastor.

“So what’s the hardest part of being a pastor?” she asked. “Is it having to come up with a sermon every week?”

I laughed when she said that for it wasn’t the first time I had been asked the question (or heard that anticipated response about the sermon being the hardest part of my position). Lots of folks tend to focus on the sermon and the worship leading part as the most demanding of my call. They probably focus on that area since it’s the most visible piece of a pastor’s call. But that piece isn’t the most challenging (at least for me). “The most challenging part,” I said, “is learning to live with the constant stress that surrounds you.”

“What kind of stress does a pastor have?” she asked innocently.

So I told her. “Well,” I began, “at any given moment you can be: dealing with an individual in the midst of a personal crisis; trying to sort out the challenges of operating the church in a tight budget; dealing with an individual who is disgruntled that you aren’t doing enough (or perhaps doing too much!) in any given area of the church’s ministry; trying to keep up with your pastoral visits; trying to mediate conflict(s) between parishioners; trying to do some effective community outreach... And that’s just a start. Once one area resolves itself,” I added, “you immediately move into a new area of concern/controversy and start all over. You never get much of a chance to catch your breath.”

“So why do it if it’s so demanding,” my friend said.

“Because I love it!” I said – saying something she perhaps least expected.

“How can you love it when it is so intense?” she asked.

A big part of that answer comes from a portion of today’s reading from Philippians. “Don’t fret or worry,” Paul began. “Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it,” he continued, “a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down.”

Those words capture about the only way I know to engage in a sustained practice of ministry. I say that because it is humanly impossible to do even an adequate “job” in serving if you were to rely solely on your abilities. Instead, over the years I’ve grown in my ability to trust that God is in the midst of all things. Once I grounded myself in that reality, my control issues begin to dissipate and I see those words wonderful words of Paul’s – “a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down” – begin to kick in in my own life. That helps me see look beyond the stress and the worry and see the amazing blessings of being in ministry.

Of course pastors aren’t the only ones living with constant stress. Chances are you are live with a tremendous amount of stress as well. The question I would invite you to consider today is this: what do you do with your stress?

Does your stress/worry cause you to ramp up and try to assert your control over everything; or does your stress serve as a warning sign that there is something you need to let go of so you can allow a sense of wholeness to begin to emerge?

Til next time…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The hermes bags are the epitome of all luxury bags and most term it as the Holy Grail in designer bags. Victoria Beckham the world’s well known fashion divas owns at least $2 million worth of Hermes Kelly and the Hermes hand bag tops her favorite bag list.
What makes the lida daidaihua so successful, besides the fact that daidaihua utilizes the right fat losing and muscle tightening strategies, is that the workouts are fun, challenging, and motivating. These lida slimming help keep people consistent and focused. There are many weight loss plans that proclaim to be the ultimate, but very few actually live up to the hype. Many weight loss strategies in other products do not work. If you are hoping for a truly smart weight loss program that will have you dropping unwanted adipose tissue fast, then you need to know what to look for. I am going to fill you in on what exactly a great slimming capsule should have in order for slimming capsules to assist you got into incredible shape. lida You must lift weights at least three times per week. You must lift weights at least three times per week
No wander later camellia became an iconic logo of Chanel handbag and the camellia design can be seen not only on Chanel , clothes, but also as chanel watches Jewels. Camellia is both beautiful and practical, which is also the spirit of Chanel bag . It is well-known because of its connection to many celebrities and being emblematic flower of many places all over the world.
Tiffany uk that would become very motivate is a bloody find. But explore experiment and elegant up with the Tiffany bracelets in fashion! It comes in lovely colors to attain or create a disparity with your clothes, skin tint or even beard tint. Make surefire silver bracelets is set as far as trinkets and pebbles are worried is the in thing this is what surfaces the textbook glamour and brilliance of the esteemed rock. Tiffany accessories glass charms have waded far past imagination.