Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

September 17

Today’s Readings: Psalm 51 & 117; Ezekiel 23:36-49; Luke 10:38-42; Revelation 20:1-6

What an amazing 24-hour period the last day has been. It’s been a time of worship, study, joy, and sorrow. It was a day that started with two wonderful, life affirming worship services and ended with the unexpected death of one of our church members. It’s at times such as these – intimate and vulnerable moments of transition – that your faith takes on added dimensions. It was in this space of reflection that today’s Gospel lesson struck a chord for me. The passage told the story of Jesus’ arrival in the home of Martha and Mary. In the story, Martha and Mary represent two very different approaches toward life and faith. Martha is like me – task oriented and focused. Mary is like how I want to be – present in the moment with an amazing ability to spiritually prioritize. The part of the passage that most resonated with me was when Jesus confronted Martha after her complaints against Mary with these words, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed” (NIV of Luke 10:41). As I reread those words, I heard those words calling out to me: “Craig, Craig, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed…” Today, those words invite me to stop and consider where my attention is turned: to the many things, or to the one thing. We’ll see if I can turn my attention to the one thing – at least for one day. Perhaps you’ll consider joining me in this endeavor. Til next time…

No comments: