Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

September 22

Today’s Readings: Psalm 16 & 11; Hosea 2:14-23; Luke 11:53-12:12; Revelation 22:1-7

While I am generally not a big fan of labels, I have learned that there is one label I could use to describe my faith that is quite telling. That label is that I am a “pre-Constantinian Christian”. While there is much I could say to unpack that particular label, for the sake of space I’ll just say pre-Constantinian Christians are Christians who are comfortable with both theological diversity and the notion of a separation between church and state. The vast majority of Christians who are portrayed in the media, however, are post-Constantinian Christians who are less comfortable with theological diversity and the separation of church and state. Consequently, over the years I’ve come to deeply appreciate Jesus’ words in today’s passage from Luke 12:4-5. Here’s how Eugene Peterson translated that passage in The Message: “I’m speaking to you as dear friends. Don’t be bluffed into silence or insincerity by the threats of religious bullies [emphasis added]. True, they can kill you, but then what can they do? There’s nothing they can do to your soul, your core being. Save your fear for God, who holds your entire life – body and soul – in [God’s] hands”. While I may not be able to roll back the hands of time for seventeen centuries and recreate a time when there was a greater degree of diversities within the Christian community, I can raise my voice to challenge the popular assumptions that being a Christian means (1) you have to belong to a certain political party; (2) hold a particular belief about reproductive rights or same-sex marriage, or (3) understand the nature of Scripture in one particular way. While my spiritual convictions may not always be popular, I can take heart knowing that if I live my life with integrity, things will be well with my core being – my soul. In what ways are the religious bullies of our day threatening to silence you or call your sincerity into question? May prayer is that God will grant us the strength to live out our faith with integrity – whatever the cost. Til next time…

No comments: