Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, October 19

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 135 & 115; Habakkuk 2:12-20; Luke 19:1-10; Romans 7:13-20

In just about 2 ½ months, many of us will succumb to the annual tradition of establishing resolutions for 2008. Virtually all of those who make resolutions start out determined to see those resolutions through. And yet by the first week of February, most of those resolutions have been discarded. Why is that? Paul provides a great answer to that question in today’s passage from Romans. In writing of the human will, Paul observes: “What I don’t understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise.” The solution to the problem? “So if I can’t be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God’s command is necessary.” Paul’s words in Romans 7:19-20 remind me once again that we as Christians often struggle to think about God’s law in healthy ways. We often see the laws as if it were designed to be primarily punitive in nature. Paul’s words instead encourage us to think of it in new ways – loving ways – that remind us the law exists to provide an anchor for our lives that would otherwise give way to self-interest and self-gratification. Today, I invite you to think about Paul’s words and perhaps gain new appreciation for the ways in which God lovingly grounds us. Til next time…

No comments: