Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Tuesday, October 9

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 120 & Psalm 28; Micah 2:1-13; Luke 16:10-18; Romans 4:19-25

Last night, I had an amazing experience. As a part of Colorado College’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered Week; I was invited to speak to the topic of religious concerns surrounding LGBT issues. The teaser tag line for the event was “Would a loving God promote hate?” What impressed me about the event was that the 40 students who attended represented a wide spectrum of theological beliefs. There were conservative members of an evangelical group in attendance as there were students who identified as agnostic and atheist. The wonderful thing about the time together was that as we explored things like scripture, history, and personal experience; everyone in the room was remarkably loving and respectful of one another. In some ways the experience helped me connect with Psalm 120:5-6 – at least in a backhanded way. Let me tell you why I say that. Psalm 120:5-6 reads as follows: “Woe is me, that I am an alien in Meshech, that I must live among the tents of Kedar. Too long have I had my dwelling among those who hate peace.” You see as a gay Christian, all too often I have found myself in hostile camps during my life. Either my presence in the gay community is met with distrust because of my Christian faith (i.e. Christians are seen as those folks who have led the persecution of LGBT folks for decades), or my presence is met with controversy due to my sexual orientation in the Christian community. In other words, I too have felt like an alien in Meshech. As a result, I can resonate strongly with the psalmist as someone who has had trouble finding places of peace. I thank God, however, for experiences like last night when – despite our differences – I felt wonderful things: not only peace, but a sense of hope for the future as well. For that I say, “Thanks be to God!” Til next time…

No comments: