Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Tuesday, November 20

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 103; Zechariah 10:1-12; Matthew 18:21-35; 3 John 9-15; Psalm 104

Today’s reading from 3 John reminded me of an experience I had attending a denominational meeting in Cleveland seven years ago. At the quadrennial meeting, delegates were dealing with a variety of controversial issues ranging from contentious social issues such as abortion and homosexuality to crucial organizational issues such as the regional election of delegates. I had gone to the meeting hoping the gathering would show me how the amazing grace of God could transform a potentially divisive gathering into a place of unparalleled peace and reconciliation. Unfortunately, I was sadly disappointed. For what I found was that the powers that be chose to mimic the ways of this world (i.e. shameless power plays and brutal manipulation) instead of the ways of Jesus. The maneuverings at the gathering would have made folks in Washington, DC blush. It was so easy to want to adopt the methods I saw displayed around me in order to do what others were doing – getting what I wanted. Thankfully, I had the words of 3 John rattling around in the back of my mind – words that said: “Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good. Anyone who does what is good if from God. Anyone who does what is evil has not seen God” (3 John 11). I’m sure there have been times in your life when you too have been tempted to adopt some of the questionable approaches around you in order to get what you want. Today, first let us give thanks for the Good in our life – the One who constantly shows us a better way. And second, let’s resolve to follow that way - no matter what! Til next time…

No comments: