Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, November 7

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 71 & 142; Zechariah 2:1-13; Luke 22:54-71; Romans 10:21-11:6

One of the themes that undergirds the Gospel of Mark is often referred to as “The Messianic Secret”. This means that Jesus reportedly warned the disciples not to tell anyone who he was because it was not yet time for them to hear the news. When I was younger, Jesus’ approach there always frustrated me because it seemed as if Jesus and the disciples should have gotten the word out immediately and let the people decide whether or not they were ready to receive the news. As I’ve gotten older, however, I’ve realized Jesus’ wisdom in recognizing the importance of waiting until someone is ready to hear something before you share it. Today’s reading from the Gospel of Luke picks up on this nugget of wisdom when Jesus appears before the council of elders and is questioned by them. When they ask if he is the Christ, his response was simply, “If I tell you, you will not believe me; and if I asked you, you would not answer” (Luke 22:67-68). Often when we want to reach out to help or connect with others, we fail to consider whether or not they are ready to receive our efforts. This lack of consideration often leads to hurt feelings and bad experiences. The next time you are ready to say or do, I invite you to consider Jesus’ approach and ask yourself, “Are they ready to receive my offering or should I wait?” Til next time…

No comments: