Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Sunday, December 30

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 111; Isaiah 63:7-9; Matthew 2:13-15, 19-23; Hebrews 2:10-18; Psalm 95

Lots of us have a hard time trying to explain why bad things happen. As a result, we often resort to cliché’s at such moments. Unfortunately these clichés often end up hurting folks we try to reach out to. For instance, if someone loses a loved one and hears someone offer a cliché like “Well, I guess God needed them more than we did” or “I guess God is using this trial to test our faith”, it can push the grieving person further away from God. I’ve learned at least two things over the years in dealing with folks during difficult times. First, I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut when I don’t understand something so I don’t make things any worse for the folks struggling with the tragedy. In place of clichés, I’ve learned instead to offer a ministry of presence at such times. And second, I’ve learned that the most important faith question I can ask isn’t “Why did God do this/allow this to happen?” Instead, the most helpful question for me to ask is “Where is God in the midst of all this?” In a sense that is what the author of today’s passage from Hebrews is alluding to. In speaking of Jesus’ circumstance, the author writes God made “the author of [our] salvation perfect through suffering” (Hebrews 2:10 – NIV). That passage reminds me that God can use tough times to accomplish remarkable things. Further, it encourages me to explore those times of suffering in my own life to discover how the suffering was used to transform my life and take me to new, previously unexplored places. Places that I otherwise might not have gone. I invite you to do that work in your own life as well. How have your times of suffering transformed you and your faith? And during our times of trial in the New Year, may we draw strength from the One who suffered as well. Til next time…

No comments: