Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, December 26

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 107:1-45; 2 Chronicles 24:17-22; Acts 7:55-8:8; Acts 6:1-7

One of the greatest benefits of a sabbatical for a pastor is that it gives him/her the rare opportunity to step back and evaluate his/her ministry. One thing I noticed about myself while I was on sabbatical is that in my first five years of ministry I often fell pray to one of the greatest temptations known to small church pastors: I got involved in virtually every aspect of the church’s ministry. With this being my first call, I didn’t take the time to prioritize the tasks before me and focus my time and energy in those areas that God had particularly gifted me. Instead, I allowed myself to get spread too thin. It’s no wonder I often felt overwhelmed! If only I had paid more attention to today’s passage from Acts 6:1-7. For in that passage we are given a wonderful example of the Twelve’s ability to prioritize their time and energy. When faced with increasing disputes between the Grecian Jews and the Hebraic Jews, for instance, did the Twelve try to do what I did – wade in and fix everything for everyone? No. They said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables” (Acts 6:2). As a result, they appointed other seven persons to handle the emerging disputes for them. This freed them up to focus on what they had really been called to do. Of course pastors aren’t the only ones who struggle with priorities. Most people do - perhaps even you! As we sit on the verge of the new year, today it might be good to make some time to revisit your own priorities. Ask yourself questions like “What are the things God is call ME to do?”, “Do I have enough time in my life to attend to these areas?” “If not, what things should go so that I do have the time to attend to these areas?” The gifts of boundaries and a clearer sense of call will be two valuable things you can give to the Christ-child this Christmas season. Til next time…

No comments: