Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, January 14

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 45; Isaiah 40:1-11; John 2:1-12; Hebrews 1:1-14; Psalm 102

There’s a cliché out there that often gets tossed around when individuals are experiencing tough times. The cliché suggests “Tough times don’t last; tough people do.” The saying is an attempt to encourage folks to hang in there. In both of today’s Psalms, the psalmist offers his own words of encouragement. But the source of encouragement is slightly different. In Psalm 45:6 the psalmist proclaims: “Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever; a scepter of justice will be the scepter of your kingdom”. And Psalm 102:11-12 observe: “My days are like the evening shadow; I wither away like grass. But you, O Lord, sit enthroned forever…” Personally I like the sentiments captured in the Psalms better than the one captured in the cliché. That’s because the cliché simply encourages me to retreat inward during the tough times and summon the strength to continue from my own personal reserves while the Psalms encourage me to turn to God and draw from God’s reserves of love, grace, and mercy. I’ve found over the years that God’s reserves are much greater than my own – and certainly more lasting. When do you turn during your own tough times? Just a little something to consider today. Til next time…

No comments: