Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, February 29

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 3; Ezekiel 33:21-33; John 7:1-13; 2 Corinthians 4:7-15; Psalm 116

As someone who struggles daily to keep his Type-A tendencies in check, I have to confess that today’s reading from John’s gospel is huge challenge. Why is that? Well, as someone who likes to take charge and move things forward on my time and in my terms, it’s hard to relate to Jesus’ response to his brothers – “Don’t crowd me. This isn’t my time” (John 7:6 – The Message). You see living in our fast-paced society, I’ve gotten so use to assuming it’s always my time. Of course this approach wasn’t just limited to our time. It popped up in Jesus’ time as well; hence, his words to his brothers in the latter part of John 7:6: “It’s your time – it’s always your time; you have nothing to lose”). Today, I invite you to join me as I do a counter-cultural thing and challenge myself whenever I fall into the old “it’s my time” routine. Find ways shifting from the popular assumption that time is ours and join me in the exploration of what it means to devote our time to God. Let’s see what happens. Til next time…

No comments: