Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, March 17

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 69:1-23; Isaiah 49:1-7; John 12:1-11; Hebrews 9:11-15; Psalm 36

Whenever I hear the story of Mary’s anointing of Jesus, I’m always pushed a little beyond my comfort zone. You see having been raised by a father who was a product of the Great Depression, I learned very early in life to be extremely careful with my resources (that’s a polite way of saying I’m very cheap). Needless to say, it’s easier for me than most people to relate to concerns about Mary’s “frivolous” use of expensive oils on Jesus’ feet. And while my reservations about Mary’s action aren’t born out of a desire to embezzle funds, a part of me can relate to Judas’ feeling that the money could be better used elsewhere. The challenge of the story for me then is to move beyond my narrow perceptions of the situation and my need for control and be willing to do what Mary did - make an extravagant gesture of love and appreciate. Such a gesture can be made in one of a thousand ways: it can be done financially; it can be done with the gift of time; it can be done with a gift of talents; you name it. The point is to move beyond your comfort zone and make an extravagant offering in response to your faith. During this Holy Week, I invite you to muster your resources and make a similar offering in love and appreciation for all that God has done for you. Such a selfless gesture might just help you get ready for Easter in ways that you never even knew you needed to. Til next time…

No comments: