Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, April 14

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 54; Daniel 6:16-18; Matthew 12:1-8; 1 Peter 4:7-11; Psalm 102

Three weeks ago, we started a study in our faith community titled “How to Listen to God”. Needless to say, the topic of prayer has been on my mind more so than usual. During our study I have realized that some of my pre-suppositions about prayer are different than others – even slightly different from the author of today’s passage from 1 Peter. Let me tell you how. In today’s passage from 1 Peter, the author wrote these words of instruction to believers: “Therefore, be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.” I realize what the author was probably trying to get at. My assumption is that the author was encouraging us to come into our prayer time grounded so that our prayer time isn’t dominated by us and our reactionary thoughts. Here’s where I diverge from the author’s perspective, however. I strongly believe that prayer can truly be a transformative time when God can do amazing things through us – often in spite of the head space we are in. In other words, I believe prayer is essentially a time when our goal if for God to change us – not vice-versa. Therefore, I don’t believe we always have to clean ourselves up to spend time in prayer. In fact, some of my most productive times of prayer have been when I have gone to God raw and real. Kind of like the sentiments expressed by the psalmist in Psalm 54 today. These feelings seem to be the very anti-thesis of being “clear minded and self-controlled”. My biggest concern about the words from 1 Peter is that they might ironically prevent some people from seeking God at the times when they most need God simply because in those moments of excruciating pain and extreme vulnerability they aren’t feeling “clear minded and self-controlled”. I hope my ramblings today have invited you to think more about your understanding of prayer as well. My greatest hope today, however, is that you won’t spend all your time thinking theoretically about the nature of prayer; my greatest hope is that you’ll – to borrow a phrase from Nike – “Just Do It!”. May our time of intimate communication with God today lead to our on-going spiritual growth and transformation. Til next time…

No comments: