Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, April 16

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 125; Jeremiah 30:18-22; Matthew 12:22-32; 1 Peter 4:17-19; Psalm 120

My favorite of the four canonical gospels is Matthew’s Gospel. I suppose I’m particular to Matthew because I love its emphasis on Jesus’ teachings. Today’s passage from Matthew, however, contains one of the few pieces of Matthew that I take issue with. Let me spell out my issue with that area of concern. In addressing the relation between people of faith and those outside the faith, the author(s) of Matthew’s gospel has Jesus say: “If you’re not on my side, you’re my enemy…” The author(s) of Mark’s Gospel has Jesus say something slightly different in response to the issue: “If he’s not an enemy, he’s an ally” (Mark 9:40). While both passages make similar points, their area of emphasis differs dramatically. In many ways, the difference harkens back to the old “Is the glass half empty or half full?” saying. Jesus’ words in Matthew make the glass seem half full while Jesus’ words in Mark make the glass seem half full. I’ve noticed that this same tendencies run through Christian individuals and communities today. There are those eager to label those who differ from them in any way as enemies, and there are those who are willing to give “the other” the benefit of the doubt. Which approach would characterize your attitude toward your faith? As you encounter “the other” are you prone to a Matthean approach or a Markan approach? Do you tend to see “the other” as enemy or ally? Your answer to that question will go a long way in shaping your day to day experiences of the world and of your faith. Til next time…

No comments: