Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, August 29

Today’s Readings: Psalm 97; Exodus 13:1-2, 11-16; Luke 13:1-9; Romans 12:3-8; Psalm 37

One of my favorite metaphors for the church comes from Paul’s writings; it’s when Paul refers to the church as a body. Why do I like Paul’s metaphor of the body so much? I suppose it’s because the metaphor has two important implications. First, the metaphor implies the interconnectedness of all parts of the church; and second, the metaphor acknowledges the fact that we all have something important to contribute to the whole. In today’s passage from Romans, Paul uses the metaphor to put forward what I feel is a crucial piece of advice that further extends the metaphor. Paul wrote, “… let’s go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren’t” (Romans 12:6 from The Message). Those words struck a chord with me because all too often I hear people minimizing their contributions by saying things like, “I don’t do much – I just teach Sunday school” or “I’m not as gifted as some – all I can do is help out with maintenance issues around the building” or “I can’t do what some can – I just help out Ms. Jones by giving her a ride once a week”. In each case the folks involved have forgotten to value what they were made to be and have allowed themselves to fall into the trap of comparing themselves to others. If that’s where you are in your life – in a place where you feel compelled to minimize your gifts – stop! Take a moment and remind yourself of Paul’s metaphor and celebrate the many ways in which your unique gifts have contributed to the overall health and well-being of the body. Once you’ve gotten in touch with your contribution, find another person who is minimizing their value within the body and take a moment to share a word of encouragement with them about how they are contributing as well. In doing that, you won’t just be helping one person – you’ll be strengthening the entire body. Til next time…

No comments: