Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Tuesday, August 26

Today’s Readings: Psalm 99; Exodus 12:28-39; Luke 12:13-31; Romans 11:25-28; Psalm 39

It’s easy these days to become overwhelmed with news that gets you down. Military conflicts that seem endless, raising gas prices, falling home values, escalating rates of home foreclosures… you name it, and we are facing it. It’s no wonder that so many folks have a difficult time staying positive! One of the best parts of being a pastor is that you get to hang out with amazing people who consistently give me reason to hope. And how do they do that? By taking Jesus’ words in today’s parable from Luke to heart. Let me tell you what I mean by that. In today’s parable, Jesus tells the story of a rich man who oversaw the production of a terrific crop. His response? Instead of sharing his accumulated riches with others, the rich man built bigger barns to hoard his profits. Following the demise of the selfish rich man, Jesus warns – “that’s what you get when you fill your barn with Self and not with God” (Luke 12:21 from The Message). Each day I see people of faith who have taken Jesus’ parable to heart and heeded Jesus’ call to fill their barns with God. I get to see Caryn, the Habitat for Humanity coordinator in our community, selflessly organize folks to help provide affordable housing for those in need in our community. I get to see Lou make time in her schedule each Tuesday to take donations of food and clothing across town to a local food bank. Each Friday I get to see Kathy deliver boxes of food to households that would otherwise go hungry. I get to see Mary serve selflessly at the keyboard each Sunday as she provides amazing worship music that takes people to new spiritual places. I get to see Jon, Laura, Scott, Deb, Donna, Marcia & Betty staff a subsidized food program that helps feed families in our community each month. I get to see Peggy, Kathy, and Kerrie provide spiritual formation opportunities for the children in our community. I get to see Bob, Deb, Renee, Betty, Mike, Rob and Mary provide vision and direction for friends and members of our faith community through their work on council. I get to see Rica, Red, and Bob provide loving care for our facility that allows us to extend radical hospitality to those throughout our community. I get to see Cher, Kevin & Theresa organize food and transportation for those in need in our community. When it comes to acts of love and service – you name it, and I get to see it. Today, instead of issuing a thought-provoking challenge, I want to end by saluting those of you who have taken Jesus’ words to heart and have filled your barns with God. It’s people like you who bring the Reign of God a little closer each and every day! Til next time…

No comments: