Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, September 1

Today’s Readings: Psalm 106; Exodus 14:5-22; Luke 13:18-30; Romans 12:14-21

I have to admit that I find the psyche of the American public fascinating: especially when it comes to politics. As some of you know, I spent many years working in that field. If I were to identify the one thing that most intrigues me about politics it would be the double standard Americans have when it comes to their voting behavior. Many will spend much time saying, “I hate all of the negative campaigning where they tear the other candidate down. I wish they would focus on the positive instead!” And yet when it comes time to cast their ballot, what do they do – they vote for the candidate that did the best job of tearing down the other candidate. I’m particularly mindful of this dynamic because last week we had the Democratic National Convention here in Denver, and this week the Republican National Convention will be held in Minnesota. I’m so tired of hearing folks suggest the world will end if Barack Obama/Joe Biden or John McCain/Sarah Palin get elected!! Sadly, we’ve still got another 2 months to hear these dire predictions from both major parties. So why can’t we break this cycle of negativity? Because in politics there is one – and ONLY one - rule that drives people’s thinking: do what works. Because people continue to vote for people that instill fear in people, candidates from both major parties will continue to prey upon those fears in order to get elected. Thankfully, as people of faith we have much bigger principles to draw upon that can guide our lives and break the cycle of negativity. Some of those principles are clearly spelled out by Paul in today’s passage from Romans where he writes: “Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they’re happy; share tears when they’re down. Get along with each other; don’t be stuck up. Make friends with nobodies; don’t be the great somebody. Don’t hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you’ve got it in you, get along with everybody. Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you to do… Don’t let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good.” Aren’t those words amazing?! Of course people from all sorts of systems (the political and economic systems in particular) will tell us those are nice clichés, but in this dog-eat-dog world you cannot live by them. I might have fallen for that line myself had I not encountered so many folks who have managed to live each day of their lives by those principles: folks like Martin Luther King, Jr.; Ghandi; Mother Teresa; Bob & Freda (my parents); Mary Lou (who sang in the first choir I directed); Ray (my uncle) – and I could go on and on with that list. Today, I’m going to take a risk. I’m going to ask you to cast your ballot for a new way of experiencing life. I’m asking you to vote to bless others rather than curse others; I’m asking you to vote to turn the other cheek rather than hitting back; I’m asking you to vote to find the beauty in the other person rather than the ugliness; I’m asking you to vote to work with other people rather than against them; I’m asking you to vote to focus on the good rather than the evil. In other words, I’m asking you to vote for the ways of Jesus rather than the ways of this world. For the way you vote in this particular “election” will ultimately shape the world around you. Til next time…

No comments: