Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, September 6

Today’s Readings: Psalm 145; Exodus 16:23-26; Luke 15:1-10; Romans 14:5-9; Psalm 23

As a post-modern person whose faith defies easy categorization, I've found it a challenge to find folks who view Scripture in a way similar to me. I’ve found that many folks in our society take one of two approaches toward Scripture. Either they see Scripture as a historical expression of a primitive people’s faith; or they see it as the literal, inerrant Word of God. I don’t fully connect with folks who see Scripture only as a historical expression of a primitive people’s faith because folks in this camp assume Scripture is largely irrelevant to our lives today. I don’t fully connect with folks who see Scripture as the literal, inerrant Word of God because they assume our lives today are irrelevant to Scripture. I’m one of those people that believe one can best experience the fullness of Scripture when both pieces (the sacred stories from our lives today and the sacred stories of our spiritual ancestors as recorded in Scripture) come together and inform each other. Fortunately, one of today’s readings helped me see I’m not alone in this approach for the psalmist gives voice to a similar position when he cried out: “Generation after generation stands in awe of your work; each one tells stories of your mighty acts” (Psalm 145:4 from The Message). What that Scripture tells me is that both sets of stories (the stories of our faith ancestors as record in Scripture and the faith stories that you and I are living) are critically important. Our goal as people of faith living in the 21st Century, then, is to bring those stories together in a way that respects the sacredness of both. Today’, I would encourage you to explore your own perspective on this. In what relationship do you hold your own faith story with the faith stories of your spiritual ancestors? Does one set of sacred stories drown out the other? I would pray that the Spirit lead each of us in our attempts to find a balance that reflects not just our will, but God’s. As we arrive at our own understanding of this balance, we can take heart in knowing that our willingness to explore this essential aspect of our faith will help our faith vital and ensure that it can be passed from one generation (ours) to the next (our children’s). Til next time…

No comments: